Wildlife can be as as potentially dangerous as people, but like people, they usually aren’t dangerous until poked, prodded, or cajoled.
The Golden Rule of Wildlife Encounters: Leave wildlife in peace, and you might leave in one piece. Don’t expect wildlife to treat you as you want to be treated, even humans have problems with that.
How to be at peace with:
- Bears: http://www.bearsmart.com/becoming-bear-smart/play/bear-encounters, http://www.udap.com/safety.htm
- Snakes: do I really have to explain this one…careful when overturning rocks and moving downed timber
- Coyotes and wolves: adfg- living with wolves
- Mountain lions: mountainlion.org
- Stinging insects and other vermin: think golden rule, and watch where you step…yellow jacket nests can be in the most inconspicuous places
- Sharks and alligators: good luck
- Mosquitoes: info forthcoming, but think of them as flying ticks…oh, darn